Fat bombs. An explosion of fat. I’m not sure if this sounds delicious or gross. Hence why I’m calling these Energy bombs because they are precisely that: an explosion of energy (and I like the sound of that!). There is also still a negative stigma attached to the idea of eating fat. I encounter it every time I talk to someone about my lifestyle. “Doesn’t all that fat make you feel sick?” I think people imagine me drinking olive oil from the bottle or something…lol (not that there would be anything wrong with that!).
A choc energy bomb is, however, delicious. It is a small morsel of good fats, created in one bite-sized piece to help increase one’s daily fat intake.
I have made and tried lots of choc energy bombs and honestly, the key is the butter. The butter gives a delicious creamy flavour that is just SO GOOD! I don’t ever feel bad eating these. Ever. And you shouldn’t either.
For those who are trying to up their fats in order to get into ketosis, these choc energy bombs are excellent. They provide almost zero carbs and are incredibly energy dense and encourage your body to switch to fat burning mode. You want to try to hit 150g(+) of fat a day and this can be challenging for some (it’s challenging for me, so I can imagine it’s challenging for you too). So these choc energy bombs provide you with that extra fat and energy. I know it’s a hard concept to wrap your head around but you have to remember: “You’ve gotta eat fat to burn fat!”
I like to eat one or two with breakfast, or melt in a hot drink, or a couple as “lunch” if I’m feeling peckish but not hungry (although I don’t encourage fasting until you are adapted, even if you’re not hungry). Alternatively, they are great as a pre or post workout snack.
If you don’t want them to be chocolate, of course, just omit the raw cacao powder.
For completely dairy free, use cacao butter in place of regular butter.
- In a pan, melt together the coconut oil and butter.
- Add the other ingredients, one at a time, and stir together.
- Taste to make sure you are happy with the level of sweetness. If you are still trying to kick sugar, or haven’t quite adjusted to LCHF yet or have only recently switched, then these will unlikely be sweet enough. Just add another tsp of sweetener, mix and taste again.
- Pour the mixture into the molds you want to use, stirring to combine everything as you go. I make these energy bombs using silicon chocolate molds because they are so easy to work with. If using non-silicon molds, you will need to line with a patty pan.
- Put in freezer for 1 hour.
- Pop out and store in a glass-lock container in the fridge (a freezer makes them rock solid and too hard to eat).
- Eat daily, or twice daily.
Used energy bombs to get into ketosis before? To give you extra energy? Got another version you’d like to share? Add your ideas, experiences or comments below.
Love (and healthy fats) Bianca x