How to make Sauerkraut
- Prep Time
- 1 jar
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 1 head of organic cabbage (your choice as to which colour)
- 1 1/2 tbsp salt
- Clean all utensils and jars thoroughly.
- Chop up the cabbage, it can be fine or roughly chopped, your call on how you like it.
- Put the cabbage in a large bowl and sprinkle a good amount of salt into it.
- Slowly massage the cabbage and you will notice that the salt softens it and pulls water out of it.
- Pick up a handful and squeeze it. If water comes out, you are looking good ;)
- Keep massaging until there is a big puddle of water in the bowl and all the salt is mixed in.
- Taste the cabbage and see if it is salted to your liking. Add more if needed.
- Stuff the cabbage into a mason jar or other airtight jar (push it down hard) along with all the juice that came out when you massaged it.
- Put the lid on (not too tight) and leave it to ferment for 3-10 days. Ideally you want it to be in a warm temperature, around 18-25°C. The colder it is, the longer it will take to ferment.
- Taste it daily after 3 days and continue to ferment until you are happy with the taste.
- Each day, you will notice bubbles forming as the cabbage ferments and the juice should rise. The longer you ferment it, the more tangy (and tasty) it will be.
- Once ready, put in the fridge and it is ready to consume. The sauerkraut will last for months.
Hi and welcome! I’m Bianca :)
Whole food-loving, low carb healthy fat Aussie nutritionist, teacher, babe, single lady and mother to two of the cutest and naughtiest kitties living in Shanghai, China. Let me show you the health benefits of LCHF living and how easy it is to find, prepare and eat whole foods in this crazy-awesome city - or anywhere! Survive? Nah, how about let's thrive!!
Sign up to learn how to live a thriving low carb lifestyle!
Follow me on Insta!
Anti-inflammatory Avocado Bone Broth Breakfast butter cacao Cake cauliflower chocolate Coconut coconut flour coconut milk coconut oil dairy-free Dessert destress egg free Eggs exercise Flaxseed floatasian floating gluten free grain free gut health Health healthy Healthy fats high fat hormones how to keto ketogenic diet ketosis lchf lchf approved low carb no sugar nut free nutrition refined sugar free snacks sugar free travel and lchf zucchini